Daniil Trifonov plays Mompou Variations On A Theme by Chopin on the piano during his Yellow Lounge performance in Berlin.
It started out as a piece for cello and piano, written in collaboration between Mompou and the cellist Gaspar Cassadó. Work on this version of the piece started in 1938, but was abandoned. Mompou then published four variations for solo piano, but with the incongruous title Three Variations.
- Theme. Andantino (A major)
- Variation 1. Tranquillo e molto amabile (A major)
- Variation 2. Gracioso (A major)
- Variation 3. Lento (D major, for the left hand)
- Variation 4. Espressivo (F major)
- Variation 5. Tempo di Mazurka (A major)
- Variation 6. Recitativo (G minor)
- Variation 7. Allegro leggiero (A major)
- Variation 8. Andante dolce e espressivo (F major)
- Variation 9. Valse (A major)
- Variation 10. Évocation. Cantabile molto espressivo (F sharp minor; Mompou quotes his own Cancion y Danza No. 6; in the middle section, he quotes the central theme from Chopin's Fantaisie-Impromptu, Op. 66)
- Variation 11. Lento dolce e legato (F sharp minor)
- Variation 12. Galope y Epílogo (A major).